- Start by cutting the top off your turnip or swede and also the bottom, just to make sure he sits securely on a flat surface.
- Then taking your kitchen knife and being extremely careful (its best if grown-ups do this bit!) start to cut into the turnip flesh scoring chunks.
- Once the top layer is scored dig it out with a large tablespoon, and after the top layer is cleared repeat step 2 & 3 until you are left with an inch of turnip flesh on the inside.
- Then examine the exterior of the turnip or swede, finding the best surface for your design, look out for any lumps and bumps that might add character!
- Taking a black felt-tip pen or marker start to draw your desired jack o’ lantern face. You can do this freestyle or print out a stencil to help guide you.
- Once you have the design clearly drawn out take the craft knife or pumpkin carving knife (if you have one from a Halloween set) and start to cut out the pieces you need to remove to carve out your chosen design.
- Once finished you may want to cut little pieces out of the top of the turnip to create little scars and add character.
- Then add your tea light and place in your desired location ready for darkness to fall! Watch as your carved turnip comes to life through the movement and twinkling of candlelight…
This year, Brunel’s SS Great Britain will be illuminated with a Terrifying Turnip Trail guiding visitors around the ship.
Each turnip along the trail will reveal truths about ‘All hallows eve’ customs.
The trail is included with admission to Brunel’s SS Great Britain over October half term.