Brunel's SS Great Britain is currently closed in line with Bristol's Tier 3 restrictions until at least Wednesday 16 December.
However, for a small suggested donation of £3 per household group, the Great Western Dockyard will be open from Thursday 3 December (Thursdays to Sundays 10am - 4pm) for you to stroll and take in the spectacle of Brunel's Iron Ship from the outside. Our Harbourside Kiosk will serve takeaway hot and cold snacks during these times and our shop will be open, which is full of unique gift ideas. You might even spot Mr. Brunel! You can also visit our online shop.
We hope we may be able to open daily during the Christmas school holidays (26 December - 3 January) however this will be subject to government restrictions changing.
The current crisis is having a huge impact on us as a charity. We continue to look after the SS Great Britain and collections on behalf of the nation despite losing most of our income. Please help support us. Thank you.
Tickets to Brunel's SS Great Britain include free unlimited return visits for a year (excluding group tickets, schools, or venue hire guests).
- Children aged 13 and under must be accompanied by an adult
- Access to the Brunel Institute is free - see below for details
- Access to Being Brunel is included in the ticket price. A ticket to gain entry only to Being Brunel is not available, you will be able to visit Being Brunel as part of a visit to the whole site here at Brunel's SS Great Britain.
- While the site is open to visitors, the majority of our office-based colleagues are still furloughed. Calls to our general enquiries phone line will be answered between 9am and 5pm Tuesday to Friday, and subject to staff availability over weekends. The office is closed on Mondays. Please do email with enquiries during these times and we will respond as soon as possible
Brunel's SS Great Britain opening times
- We are currently closed in line with Bristol's Tier 3 restrictions until at least Wednesday 16 December.
- We hope we may be able to open daily during the Christmas school holidays (26 December - 3 January) however this will be subject to government restrictions changing.
Brunel Institute opening times
- Please note - the Brunel Institute is currently closed to the public.
- Readers are asked to contact the Brunel Institute at least two weeks in advance before visiting, we are open to Readers on Thursdays and Fridays only. More information
- The Brunel Institute has separate opening times to Brunel's SS Great Britain.
|Thursdays||Book in advance reader slots|
|Fridays||Book in advance reader slots|
How to access the Brunel Institute
- Access to the Brunel Institute is free of charge and no ticket is required
- Please bring a form of identification with you which shows your current address (This could be a driving licence or utility bill which is less than three months old but mobile phone bills are not acceptable)
- If you are visiting in order to see a particular object or section of the collections, please inform the Curator in advance
Harbourside Kitchen opening times
- We look forward to welcoming visitors back from 3 December.
- Open from 10am - 4pm Thursdays to Sundays, serving a selection of takeaway snacks and cakes and hot and cold drinks.
Go Aloft! opening times
- Go Aloft! is currently closed.