Brunel's ss Great Britain Needs You!
Volunteers play an important part in all that we do – from explaining how we care for the precious items in our collections to guiding people around the ship and even playing the piano!
Your time is precious. So when you spend it helping us we promise you will be making a difference.
Volunteering at the ss Great Britain provides a variety of fun and interesting experiences and every time you volunteer you are sure to learn something new. There are many reasons why people join our crew, including:
- Having the chance to learn about the fascinating history of the ship and the work of Isambard Kingdom Brunel
- Having the chance to learn about Victorian and maritime history
- To help secure the future of the ss Great Britain
- A full training and social programme with frequent events and activities
- Behind the scenes access to the collections and the ship
- The chance to make new friends and to be a part of a great team
- To gain valuable work experience
What could you do?
We have a variety of roles to suit different interests, experiences, availability and skills. Our current opportunities include:
Watch this space - the opening of our new museum in 2018 will create new roles and opportunities. More information on how you can get involved is coming soon.
What do our volunteers say?
Meet some of our volunteers in these two short films about the Visitor Services Volunteer role and the Library Volunteer role and hear what they enjoy about volunteering. There is plenty of information about the other roles on the role descriptions.
Visitor Services Volunteer role:
Library Volunteer role:
How to apply
or you can call the volunteer team on 0117 922 5737
We would love to hear from you.