- This is Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s school report from the Institution De M. Massin in Paris; the report is dated 1821, when Brunel was 15. The report is written in French by Mr Massin and highlights some of Brunel’s talents.
- The report lists the awards he received at the school, including 3 separate maths prizes, and states his progress in a range of subjects. It describes Brunel as “very good” at maths and drawing, while his ability in both history and geography is labelled as “good”.
- Brunel knew several languages. His teacher writes that he is “very good” at German, his French is “improving” but when it comes to Latin the report says only that “He will deal with it as much as it will be possible”.
- The report also mentions his health, which is described as “good”, and his behaviour: “beyond reproach – This young man gave to all his teachers the fullest satisfaction”.
- The final line offers an insight into Brunel’s potential as Mr Massin writes “he provides brilliant expectations for the future."
Isambard Kingdom Brunel's School Report, 1821
Continue the Story
Find out ‘A Bit about Brunel’ with this Fact Sheet (download and print)
Play this fun board game about Brunel’s life and work (download, print and make)
Discover the arts and find out about creative people like Brunel with this Brunel-themed Arts Award Discover book (download and print)