01 June 2023
01 June 2023
Be a leader with a keen eye for developing people, have an established record in succession planning and cultural change. Be able to influence at all levels, be a self-starter and able to motivate and encourage a team to deliver success in a fast-paced, often pressurised environment.
JOB TITLE: Sales Manager
JOB TYPE: Permanent
SALARY: up to £35,000
HOURS: 40 hours – 9.00 to 5.30pm Monday to Friday
REPORTING TO: General Manager
To ensure sustained growth of conference and event turnover through proactive sales, and efficient management of the conference and events sales team to grow the sites C&E revenue.
Strong knowledge of the conference sector is a must with established links and networks within both national and regional corporate and booking agent markets.
Directly reporting to the General Manager and being a head of department they will provide day-to-day leadership, operational advice, best practice and guidance to the sales team in line with business objectives and company standards to achieve and maximise set targets.
Alongside sales skills a strong knowledge of all areas of profit/loss accounts and budgets are essential. They will need to identify remedial actions when challenges to agreed budget arise. Experience of creating proposals, reports and sales plans to explain to stakeholders the direction of the business is essential and required on a regular basis.
Ultimately, be a leader with a keen eye for developing people, have an established record in succession planning and cultural change. Be able to influence at all levels, be a self-starter and able to motivate and encourage a team to deliver success in a fast-paced, often pressurised environment.
The role is measured on the delivery of key performance indicators and adherence to the site operational budget.
Business Leadership and Measurement
- Proactively manage the annual site conference and event sales budget and business plan, meets and achieve challenging sales targets and exceed industry standards.
- Ensures offers and initiatives are implemented to deliver growth, profitability and continuous improvement through all channels.
- Leads in the creation of the conference and event business plan, along with encouraging the sales team to contribute.
- Coordinates site sales activities as listed (but not limited to) below:
- Annually produce and implement a strategic conference and event business plan.
- Quarterly create a rolling marketing communications plan that is in agreement with the client’s Marketing Department.
- Every six months analyse data and present a sales strategy update.
- Produce a month end report with in depth detail of past month sales performance including conversion, business mix and lost business.
- Provide an accurate twelve-month sales forecast on a weekly basis, to monitor business on the books and where necessary, to achieve budget implement a short term action plan.
- Weekly produce accurate summaries for Accounts including year on year growth percentage.
- Grow, manage and sustain all key accounts through the support of the National Sales Manager, with account plans for each.
- Grow, manage and maintain all resellers and agents, through the assistance of the National Sales Manager, with account plans for each.
- Implements the company’s sales standards and procedures and actively monitor to ensure all set criteria are met, as per the Service Level Agreement (SLA). Evolve and develop said SLA.
- Liaise and work closely with the client’s marketing department to ensure the creation of branded marketing is per brand guidelines.
- Display solid knowledge of the conference and event industry and produce and shares industry intelligence as required to influence and develop the strategic direction of the offer.
- Think creatively and generate new ideas, to grow the business and enhance revenue and profitability for the unit in future years.
- Analyse conversion of business to quickly identify growth/loss, implement actions where necessary.
- Develop a sales-led work environment.
- Recruit, manage, induct, train, motivate and appraise all direct reports versus targets.
- Conduct regular performance reviews with the team, ensuring appropriate training and development.
- Maintain standards to ensure succession and appraisal databases.
- Comply with all statutory and company policies and procedures to enhance employee engagement, retention and ensure the Investors in People accreditation.
- Instil a culture of achievement so all sales staff projects a positive, approachable, and professional image to enhance customer retention and winning new business.
- Instigates and implements best practice at site level.
- Builds internal relationships, with the client to enable delivery of service offer.
- Builds external relationships to attract both sales and talent to the company. Takes an active role in working with other sales managers in implementing and delivering long term strategy.
- Treats others with dignity and respect.
- Earns credibility and trust with key stakeholders.
- Drives change and constructively challenges process and the status quo.
- Enthusiastic and positive about future possibilities.
- Enables others to act.
- Sets a personal example, following through on promises and commitments.
- Effectively manages time and resources, meets deadlines and flags delays.
- Actively seeks opportunities to develop and learn.
- Communicates openly and clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Willing to help other teams where necessary.
- Manages conflict effectively.
- Has a strong command of numbers, and profit and loss accounts
- Strong grasp of English, to ensure credible report writing.
- Has drive and determination to succeed.
- Expresses confidence in own ideas and networks with others.
- Sets the highest personal performance standards for self.
- Autonomous and self-reliant, working with minimal control and direction.
- Gains commitment to action from a range of people.
- Adapts quickly and positively to new situations.
- Continues to be productive in uncertainty.
- Accepts personal responsibility to make things happen.
Please send your Cover letter and CV to Christopher Fry at Christopher.firstname.lastname@example.org.