The closing date for this role has now passed
Title: Mr Brunel
Report to: Active Interpretation Manager
Hours: Various – You will need to be available during school holidays particularly the Summer holiday between July and September. You may also be requested for occasional weekend work and should be willing to undertake ad hoc out of season activities.
Hourly Rate: £15ph
The multi award-winning Brunel’s SS Great Britain is recruiting a new ‘Mr Brunel’ to work alongside our existing Mr Brunel costumed interpreters during our busy summer season and for additional ad-hoc dates throughout the year.
The successful candidate must demonstrate outstanding visitor services skills and an aptitude for communicating complex ideas to a variety of audiences. A sense of fun and willingness to learn about the SS Great Britain and Isambard Kingdom Brunel is essential, as is previous public speaking or costumed interpretation experience. An interest in history and museums, and knowledge of the SS Great Britain and Isambard Kingdom Brunel will be an advantage.
Applicants must be available to work during the Trust’s Summer Season which runs from 20 July to 1 September. Your rota and weekly hours will be agreed upon appointment however the successful applicant should expect to work full time (5 days a week) throughout August. You may be asked to work on additional weekend and school holiday dates throughout the year subject to your availability.
As one of the Trust’s 'Mr Brunel’s' you will provide visitors with an authentic and inspiring visit to SS Great Britain. You will work alongside the existing Mr Brunel to ensure visitors enjoy a consistently excellent experience throughout the year. This role also has a considerable visitor service element so you will work closely with other front of house staff. You will be a third person interpreter.
- Interacting closely with members of the public during their visit.
- Providing factual information regarding Brunel and the ship to visitors in an interesting and engaging manner.
- Provide general support to visitor services staff and volunteers.
- Help with managing the queues at busy times.
- Provide informative tours to a wide variety of groups.
- Supporting and having a presence during high-profile events.
- Working with the Marketing and Events team around Bristol, and occasionally the wider area, promoting ‘what’s on’ at the ship.
- Having photographs taken for media use and by members of the public.
- Any other reasonable duties as required, commensurate with the post.
- You will need to be able to “read” visitors and tailor the level of your interaction according to their needs.
- You will have a passion for history and must demonstrate a willingness to learn about the ship and Isambard Kingdom Brunel. You will also be able to employ a light touch when imparting information.
- You should have a sense of fun and enjoy interacting with members of the public.
- You will need to be a strong team player.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills.
- Previous acting or costumed interpretation experience essential.
- Customer service skills a necessity including interacting with members of the public.
- A knowledge of history and museums, and of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, is an advantage.
SS Great Britain Trust is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for this role from suitably qualified female, gender non-binary and BAME performers, as well as those with disabilities.
How to apply
In your letter of application please explain how you meet each point on the person specification, what you have to offer the Trust and enclose an up-to-date C.V. and show reel or headshot if available.
The closing date for applications is 9am on Monday 20th of May. Interviews will take place on Wednesday 5th of June. The process will involve a panel interview and an audition task performed before an audience of SS Great Britain staff. Candidates will be given details of the audition task upon invitation to interview.
Please e-mail applications to firstname.lastname@example.org applications should be addressed to Mr Simon Strain, Active Interpretation Manager.
For any informal enquires contact Simon Strain via email email@example.com or phone 01179 260680 Ext 311
Thank you for your interest in working for the SS Great Britain Trust.