Report to: Events Manager
Purpose of role: To assist with the overall operational responsibility for the delivery and co-ordination for the range of services relating to functions and events at the SS Great Britain. You will be expected to act as a representative of Brunel’s SS Great Britain and work to the highest standards of customer care, service and presentation throughout your role and thus supporting the aims and objectives of the SS Great Britain Trust through first class service delivery
Hourly rate: £10.70
- To act as a contact for meeting, greeting and assisting guests to the ship for events, conferences and functions
- To liaise closely and communicate, when necessary, with other departments within the organisation to ensure excellent and timely service delivery
- Be fully informed about the ss Great Britain Trust, its services and forthcoming activities in order to relay accurate information to enquirers
- To develop knowledge about the ship, its history, Brunel and related information
- To act, where applicable, as a guide to deliver historical commentaries to guests or groups on tours of the ship and other areas as required
- Take initiative to solve issues and to go beyond expectation in service delivery
- To assist in the preparation of all function areas for each particular event, including: setting up furniture, careful removal of museum interpretation, setting up of AV equipment
- To liaise with caterers and other service providers to ensure a first class standard of presentation is achieved within agreed deadlines
- To assist in responsibility for the site during functions including site security, Entrance monitoring and locking up of site
- To assist the Chief Steward in the event of an emergency evacuation of the ship.
- Report any items which require attention by filling in of relevant document and informing the Chief Steward or Head of Events
- Diplomatic enforcement of company policies, eg. no smoking and adherence to the ship’s licensing regulations
- Ensure all health & safety procedures are followed
- From time to time you may be required to carry out additional tasks deemed reasonable for your position
- Friendly, Outgoing and Enthusiastic
- Customer care skills and a real commitment to meeting customers’ needs
- Confident and articulate
- Literate and numerate
- Oranisational skills and a keen eye for detail
- Good communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to use initiative
- Team player
- Ability to work effectively under extreme pressure
- 100% reliable
- Ability to work weekends and evenings essential
- A knowledge and interest in heritage and/or in the ss Great Britain desirable
- Able to demonstrate experience in a similar role within the requirements of the job. Full training will be given on ss Great Britain site specific systems.
- A record of delivering good customer service within a work environment
This would be a part time position on a casual basis as events required
Shifts would be as each event requires with minimum call of 4 hours up to 12 hours
How to apply
Completed application forms will only be considered. Please go to our website ssgreatbritain.org/jobapplicationform for an application form. We will not accept Covering letter and cvs.
Closing date for applications: 9am, 28 July 2019
Recruitment Day: Monday 5 August 2019
SS Great Britain is committed to diversifying our audiences and workforce. We actively encourage applications from candidates from groups under-represented in our organisation including; Black, Asian and minority ethnic, Disabled people.
All full time posts can be considered for job share.