Hours: Minimum of two shifts a week including weekend work on a casual rota basis.
Report to: Head of Catering and Events, Café Manager
Purpose of role: As Cafe Assistant you will be expected to act as a representative of Brunel’s SS Great Britain and work to the highest standards of customer care, service and presentation throughout your role. Your duties will be mainly customer focused and will include work in the kitchen. From time to time you may be required to carry out additional tasks deemed reasonable for your position.
Hourly rate: £8.75, increasing to £9 after probation period
- To serve customers as they use the café in a friendly and welcoming way.
- To take the customer’s orders quickly and efficiently and where appropriate give advice or make suggestions of menu choice.
- To maintain a level of clean crockery, glass ware and cutlery for customers
- To partake in the opening up and closing down procedures for the cafe
- To maintain safe practises when handling cash throughout the day.
- To follow procedures in the cashing in till floats and cashing up tills at the end of the day.
- Assisting with general food preparation as instructed by the chef.
- Restocking counter products where and when necessary as advised by shift supervisor.
- Assisting with the fulfilment of internal company catering requests.
- To keep all work counters clean and tidy.
- Maintaining a high level of cleanliness throughout the Café Bar including clearing of tables
- To ensure the external areas of the cafe are set up where appropriate and kept clean and tidy
- Adhering to environmental health and Health & Safety regulations and guidelines.
- To assist in the washing up and cleaning to ensure that dirty dishes are kept to a minimum in the kitchen.
- To ensure all health and safety documentation is filled in as shown by the FOH Supervisor
Kiosk and Ice Cream vending
- Opening and serving in the kiosk and ice cream vending points when necessary
- Ensuring that the kiosk and ice cream point is fully stocked.
- Making sure the kiosk and ice cream point is cleaned and ready for service the next day.
- Customer care skills and a real commitment to meeting customers’ needs
- Confident and articulate
- Literate and numerate
- Good communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to use initiative
- Team player
- Ability to work effectively under extreme pressure
- A knowledge of the SS Great Britain is desirable.
- Able to demonstrate experience in a similar role within the requirements of the job.
- A proven track record of delivering good customer service within a work environment
- Previous catering experience desirable
How to apply
Please send a covering letter detailing how you meet the person specification and cv to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 9am, 24 May 2019
Interview date: 30 May 2019