Kick off Christmas with a bang this year and join in the festive fun at Brunel’s ss Great Britain; from traditional storytelling sessions to cracking Christmas gifts.
Visitors will be transported back in time to 1875, when the First-Class dining saloon will be transformed for ‘frightful festive fables’ family storytelling on board at 11.30am and 2.30pm on December 10 and 11. Professional storyteller Sarah Mooney will be telling eerie, cautionary tales with a Christmas theme, based on extracts from passenger diaries in the Trust’s collection.
Mr Brunel will also be in a festive mood with readings from ‘A Christmas Carol’ at 12 noon and 2pm on December 10 and 11.
Other activities to keep the family entertained include exploring the historic ship’s galley, with its animatronic cat, rattling pot lids, and squeaking rats.
Brunel’s ss Great Britain also includes a gift shop with a wide range of Christmas and festive presents for all the family, from large gifts to stocking fillers – including books, cards and clothing, to handmade chocolates and soap, and cuddly toys.
For those who have worked up an appetite the Dockyard Café Bar will be serving up seasonal specials throughout the festive season, including mulled wine, mince pies, Christmas cake and festive Panini’s.
Brunel’s ss Great Britain is open throughout the festive season except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Ideal for the whole family, Brunel’s ss Great Britain is especially popular for Boxing Day and New Year’s Day visits.
Christmas events include:
- ‘Sea Hear’ storytelling for pre-school children on December 6 (first Tuesday of the month), in the Brunel Institute;
- Victorian Christmas storytelling on December 10 & 11 (11.30am and 2.30pm);
- Mr Brunel (December 10 and 11), with readings from ‘A Christmas Carol’ at 12 noon and 2pm;
- Drop into the Brunel Institute, next to Brunel’s ss Great Britain, and its free ‘Archive in Five’ sessions on Tuesdays (12.30pm to 1.30pm), Wednesdays (2pm to 3pm), and the first two Saturdays of the month (1pm to 2pm), for a close look at a selection of the National Brunel Archive treasures;
- Brunel’s ss Great Britain is also available for hire for private parties as well as corporate venue hire (Christmas party packages are available please call 0117 926 0680 for more information).