Reporting to: Technical Services Manager
Hours: 40 per week including weekend and bank holidays based on a rota system
Department: Technical Services
Aim: The upkeep, security and maintenance of the ship, dry-dock and associated land, buildings and contents.
- Daily preparation of site for visitors ensuring that all facilities and exhibits are operational and safe and that the site is left safe and secure at the close of business each day.
- To ensure that all tasks are carried out with due regard for the health and safety of work colleagues, volunteers and visitors, and that the appropriate documentation is completed for hot works and working at height
- To carry out routine tasks on a daily basis, following agreed procedures, to ensure the safe operation of the site.
- To provide emergency and urgent response to any security, safety or operational need.
- Demonstrate a high level of competence in at least one of the following skills and a basic level of competence in at least one other: electrical wiring, plumbing, carpentry, welding, metal working, painting, mechanical engineering.
- To work with the rest of the team ensuring that exhibits, plant, equipment and all visitor & staff facilities are maintained and presented to the highest standards. This will be achieved through daily checks, agreed preventative maintenance, reactive repairs, as well as routine maintenance and involvement in new projects.
- To take personal responsibility to ensure that tasks are completed promptly and strive to always improve standards.
- To co-operate with and assist any contractors employed by the trust.
- To co-operate, and interact positively, with volunteers and personnel from all departments.
- To maintain good personal presentation and to interact or assist visitors in a positive fashion when required.
- Any other tasks required by the Technical Services Manager.
- A methodical approach to problem solving.
- A practical approach to repair and maintenance.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Well developed interpersonal communication skills.
- Good team player and able to work alone if needed.
- A working knowledge of workshop and maintenance skills.
Duty Hours & Personnel
- 40 hours per week consisting of five 8-hour shifts with 1 unpaid hour for lunch worked Monday to Sunday between the hours of 07.00 and 19.00.
- Weekends and bank holidays will be worked on a rota basis within the 40 hour working week.
- Shifts may be amended to cover emergency situations and to enable necessary works to take place outside normal opening hours.
- Any agreed over-run of hours will be taken as time off in lieu.
- Duty hours can be changed by the ss GB Trust two days notice being given.
- To be paid monthly by direct bank transfer on or about the 25th of each calendar month.
- Leave 31 days pro rata. Including Bank Holidays
How to Apply
Please send a covering letter and cv detailing how you meet the person specification to email@example.com
The SS Great Britain Trust is an equal opportunities employer. Reg. charity no: 262158.
Thank you for your interest in the job and in the work of the SS Great Britain Trust.