THE CLOSING DATE FOR THIS ROLE HAS NOW PASSED.
Hours: Permanent position. Please note the postholder will work a 5-day week (36.25 hours) and at least one of the five days will be at a weekend
Reporting to: Head of Collections
Responsible for: Library and Collections Volunteers
Liaison with: Interpretations and Education Teams, Marketing Team, Visitor Experience Team
Aims: To carry out collections management processes, supervise the David MacGregor Library and assist in the installation of Being Brunel
- Assist with the preparation for and installation of Being Brunel, the new museum opening alongside SS Great Britain in March 2018.
- Assist with re-displays in the Dockyard Museum
- Manage visitors’ use of the Library to ensure both their learning and enjoyment, and the safety of the collections.
- Supervise the open access sessions Archive in Five and Conservation in Action, creating a welcoming atmosphere for visitors.
- Follow agreed security processes to ensure the security of the Library and Collections, including managing visitors’ physical access to the Library and Conservation Suite.
- Produce resources for Library users in a range of formats.
- Assist the Head of Collections in maintaining excellent standards of documentation in accordance with SPECTRUM and ACE Accreditation standards.
- Carry out documentation procedures relating to museum objects, including accessioning, photographing and making electronic records for new acquisitions and existing collections.
- Manage the Integrated Pest Management System in the Brunel Institute, Dockyard Museum and Being Brunel.
- Carry out monthly conservation cleaning of the Archive Vault and Conservation Suite, the Dockyard Museum and the case interiors for Being Brunel, and oversee the annual deep clean of the Archive Vault.
- Oversee the Library and Collections Volunteers to ensure that work is proceeding at a pace in line with the Collections Plan and to a satisfactory standard.
- Develop object history or other files as required.
- Produce inventories of objects and other files as required.
- Carry out marking and labelling of objects and library materials as required
- Catalogue books for the David MacGregor Library using the Library of Congress system
- Carry out duties in accordance with the Museums Association Code of Ethics and current legislation.
- Any other reasonable duties as required, including regular weekend and evening work, and occasional out-of-hours responsibilities.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Understanding of good practice in documentation work and collection management procedures, including SPECTRUM
- Commitment to continuing professional development
- Time management skills
- IT skills in Word, Powerpoint and Excel
- The flexibility, good humour and patience to work closely with colleagues from different disciplines
- Ability to respond to changing priorities and competing demands
- Attention to detail and as well as sound knowledge of relevant principles and practices
- Demonstrable experience of working in museums
- Demonstrable experience of collections management and collections access
- Demonstrable experience of computerized data entry
- Demonstrable experience of engaging with the public
- Knowledge and experience of using AdLib
- Experience of managing volunteers
How to apply
THE CLOSING DATE FOR THIS ROLE HAS NOW PASSED. PLEASE DO NOT SEND IN YOUR CV AS IT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
For further information or an informal discussion about the post please contact Nick Booth on 0117 926 0680 x 314, or by email at email@example.com.
- 8am on Monday 11 December
- Interviews will take place on Monday 18 December 2017
The SS Great Britain encourages applications from people of all backgrounds but particularly welcomes applications from candidates from BAME backgrounds as they are under-represented within our organisation.